Monday, May 04, 2009

Honoring Mothers

As Mother's Day approaches, I have felt an overwhelming amount of gratitude towards my mother. Not only is she my mom, but has become my best friend. Words cannot adequately express the love that I possess for this incredible woman. She is one of the hardest working women I know and is always willing to lend a helping hand. She taught me the value of the dollar and instilled a work ethic in each one of her children. She is an elementary school teacher and a licensed contractor. She can build a house from the ground up, can operate heavy construction equipment better than most men I know, and she knows her way around every power tool known to man. She tough as nails, but as soft and loveable as a teddy bear. She gives the best advice and has taught me what true Christlike love is. She is the teacher that everyone loves and adores, but has eyes in the back of her head. You can’t get anything passed this lady… I live on the opposite side of the country, yet she can somehow tell when I’m having a rough day. She is my mother, my confidant, and my best friend.
You might ask yourself; how did my mom became such an incredible person? From my grandmother! There are few finer people that ever walked the earth... I can't think of my grandma Sue without tearing up. She is one of my most favorite people. As a young girl, I decided that if I ever had a daughter of my own, I would name her after my grandmother.
I think the hardest part about living away from family is that my children aren't able to have the type of relationship that I was able to have with my own grandma. I have countless memories spending time with her... She has taught me so much about life and is an incredible example to me. She always has a smile on her face. In all my years, I've never heard her say one cross word about anyone. This is a picture that I view on a daily basis... My sweet grandmother holding my precious little Maddie Sue.
I am also blessed to be married to such a wonderful man. I know he wouldn't be as wonderful as he is had he not had such an amazing mother as well.
Kathy is one of the craftiest people I know. She loves holidays and makes each one of them so special. She’s a true kid at heart and is so much fun to be around. She is an incredible cook, and is an amazing artist. Her Thanksgiving dinners are a sight to see. It looks like something you would see in a magazine. She is always helping others and loves to spend time with her grandchildren. The dress that Maddie Sue is wearing is the same dress that all of the King granddaughter's were blessed in. Their family has a lot of great traditions that I hope to share with my children as they grow.
Carol is a wonderful step-mother and grandmother. She is an amazing musician and has a beautiful voice. I am very blessed to have such wonderful women in my life, who are all great examples to me. Ammon & Maddie Sue are so blessed to have such amazing grandmas! Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful women in our life!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lona,
What a beautiful tribute!!! Never forget what a wonderful mother you are as well. Ammon and Maddie are truely blessed.
I love you.
Mom